Tamer Kıran was born in 1969 in Istanbul. He studied at Behçet Kemal Çağlar High School and received his Bachelor's Degree in "International Relations" department at Anadolu University.
He continued his further education in "Diploma in Ship Management" at London City College and in 1990, he began to work in "Kıran Holding", the family company which operates in the field of ship owner and shipyard affairs. He is still assuming his assignment as the Vice President of the Board of Directors.
Tamer Kıran was appointed as the 8th Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Turkish Chamber of Shipping in consequence of the Istanbul and Marmara, Aegean, Mediterranean, Black Sea regions Chamber of Shipping committee elections executed on 8 April 2018. Along with his new assignment, he is also assuming his position as the Vice President of Board of Directors in the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey.
Apart from these assignments, he is also;
· Board Member of the Trustees in Piri Reis University,
· Board Member of the Turkish Shipowner Employer's Union,
· Board Member of the Turkish Marine Environment Protection Association (TURMEPA),
· Executive Committee Member in Turkey-Malta Business Council (DEİK).
Other than these assignments, he was also;
· Board Member of the Turkish Maritime Education Foundation between 2006 and 2014,
· Board Member of the Economic Development Foundation between 2007 and 2014,
· Board Member of the Beşiktaş Gymnastics Club (BJK) between 2012 and 2013,
· Board Member of the "International Chamber of Shipping" as the representative of "Turkish Chamber of Shipping" between 2011 and 2014,
· Chairman of the Turkish Shipowner Employer's Union between 2014 and 2018.
Tamer Kıran speaks English. He is married and has three children.