He was born in Istanbul in 1969. He received his Bachelor's Degree in International Relations from Faculty of Economics of Anadolu University and his Diploma in Maritime Management from London City College. In 1990, he began to work in Kıran Holding, a family company which operates in the field of ship management and shipbuilding industry. He is currently serving as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors in Kıran Holding.
Mr. Kıran, was elected as the 8th Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Chamber of Shipping-Türkiye on April 8th, 2018. Along with this position, he also assumes his office as the Vice President of the Board of Directors in the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Türkiye (TOBB).
Apart from these positions, he is also;
- Chairman of the Maritime Education Foundation-Türkiye (TÜDEV)
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees in Piri Reis University,
- Board Member of the Marine Environment Protection Association-Türkiye (TURMEPA)
Other than these assignments, he was also;
- Board Member of the Maritime Education Foundation-Türkiye between 2006 and 2014,
- Board Member of the Economic Development Foundation between 2007 and 2014,
- Board Member of the Beşiktaş Gymnastics Club (BJK) between 2012 and 2013,
- Board Member of the "International Chamber of Shipping" as the representative of "Chamber of Shipping-Türkiye" between 2011 and 2014,
- Chairman of the Shipowners Employers Union-Türkiye between 2014 and 2018.
Tamer Kıran speaks English. He is married and has three children.