He was born in Istanbul in 1969. Graduated from Behçet Kemal Çağlar High School and received his Bachelor's Degree in International Relations from Faculty of Economics of Anadolu University. He received his Diploma in Maritime Management from London City College. In 1990, he began to work in Kıran Holding, a family company which operates in the field of ship owner and shipyard affairs. He is currently serving as Vice Chairman of the Board of Directors.
Kıran, was elected as the 8th Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Turkish Chamber of Shipping on April 8th, 2018. Along with this assignment, he is also assuming his office as the Vice President of the Board of Directors in the Union of Chambers and Commodity Exchanges of Turkey.
Apart from these assignments, he is also;
- Chairman of the Turkish Maritime Education Foundation (TÜDEV)
- Board Member of the Trustees in Piri Reis University,
- Board Member of the Turkish Shipowners Employers’ Union,
- Board Member of the Turkish Marine Environment Protection Association (TURMEPA),
- Executive Committee Member in Turkey-Malta Business Council (DEİK).
Other than these assignments, he was also;
- Board Member of the Turkish Maritime Education Foundation between 2006 and 2014,
- Board Member of the Economic Development Foundation between 2007 and 2014,
- Board Member of the Beşiktaş Gymnastics Club (BJK) between 2012 and 2013,
- Board Member of the "International Chamber of Shipping" as the representative of "Turkish Chamber of Shipping" between 2011 and 2014,
- Chairman of the Turkish Shipowners Employers’ Union between 2014 and 2018.
Tamer Kıran speaks English. He is married and has three children.